Facts About Eye Donation
Facts about eye donation
- Eyes can be donated only after death
- Eyes must be removed within 6– 8 hours after death
- Eyes can be removed by a registered medical practitioner only.
- The eye bank team will visit the home of the deceased or the hospital to remove the eyes.
- Eye removal does not delay the funeral since the entire procedure takes 20-30 minutes only
- A small quantity of blood will be drawn to rule out communicable diseases
- Eye retrieval does not cause disfigurement
- Religions are for eye donation
- The identities of both the donor and the recipient are kept confidential